Let’s be honest. The moment you step into a coffee shop, the first thing you notice isn’t the coffee menu. Your senses are first welcomed by the ambiance. Is it a conducive place for study? Is it spacious and warm? Designers invest a lot of thought in lighting, theme, colours, and furniture when creating a coffee shop, and this shouldn’t be a surprise. After all, who wants to enjoy their favorite cup of joe in a stuffy place? In this article, we will discuss how to choose coffee shop furniture and create a unique ambiance through some simple tips.
Importance of ambiance
Before we head on to the how’s and why’s of choosing coffee furniture and creating ambiance, let us first go through and explore why ambiance is important when you’re establishing a coffee shop or business in general. Ambiance is typically described to be the atmosphere or feeling a particular place has that affects a visitor’s experience.
There is a psychology behind ambiance. That’s why hotels choose specific scents for their lobbies and why luxury retail shops are lit a certain way. It’s interesting to note that while the creative minds behind a place’s ambiance show intent, the guests are left to judge that ambiance for themselves. This means, ambiance is somehow a subjective matter. Some like the ambiance of the place, and some don’t.
Grappling with customer subjectivity can be challenging, which brings us to the next point. How do we achieve a unique ambiance through furniture?
Tips in choosing coffee shop furniture
Creating a particular ambiance would depend primarily on how you decorate your coffee shop. And this would also include choosing the best suited and appropriate coffee shop furniture to go with it. Taking this into consideration, here are some tips on how to choose the best coffee shop furniture:
- Like any business model, understanding your customer profile is vital. Are you attracting a hip and young crowd who love to chat while drinking coffee? Or are you creating a spacious and peaceful workplace for caffeine-addicted law students? Your customers will fill the seats, which is why it is wise to choose furniture according to their profile.
- Ideally, pick a particular style and stick with it. While there is a wide range of styles that you can choose from, it is better to choose from one to two complimentary styles to create a diverse yet cohesive look.
- Include a variety of seating types: sofas, lounge chairs, dining chairs, armchairs, and ever bar stools. This way, you add dimension to the space.
- Choose furniture that is easy to move and clean. People who stay in coffee shops love to rearrange tables and chairs to accommodate larger groups. Consider the functionality of your furniture without sacrificing style.
- Do not overcrowd your space with tables and chairs. While you might be tempted to fit as much as you can in order to have a ton of seating space, it is still important to consider the ease of traffic inside the coffee shop if ever the place gets packed.
How to create a unique ambiance
Now that we know how to choose the best possible coffee shop furniture, the next thing we have to learn is how to create a unique ambiance. As mentioned earlier, the ambiance plays a significant role on how someone perceives and experiences a place. With that, here are some tips on how you can create an ambiance:
- Much like choosing the furniture, you would also have to pick a theme and stick to it. Coming up with a theme can be difficult considering that you wouldn’t want to be too simple or too out there. For coffee shops, it is better to opt for a theme that exhibits coziness and friendliness.
- Allow social media to inspire your creative direction. People nowadays want an “instagrammable” space, with unique colors and backdrops. Take a cue from influencers and their coffee shop shots and add your unique input.
- Check boutique hotel spaces and themes and be inspired. They may not be coffee shops, but boutique hotels are known to make the most of space with unique pieces and color themes.
- Don’t be afraid to play with lighting. Lighting also plays a huge role in creating and decorating a particular space. Do not be afraid to use different light colors and lighting types throughout your coffee shop in order to create difference in space and ambiance within the place itself.
- Find music that complements your space. Do not underestimate the power of good music in shaping a unique ambiance.
When it comes to establishing your own business, coming up with the theme that would make it stand out is considerably one of the hardest things to do. Considering the plethora of coffee shops we have today, it is even more difficult to create one that would make it like no other. Taking this into consideration, knowing exactly how to choose coffee shop furniture as well as learn how to create a unique ambiance can slowly help you decide on which designing track you are going to go for your coffee shop business.